SMRs and AMRs

Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Author/Educator Nicole Helget slams MnSCU's 'Charting the Future'

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) Chancellor Steven Rosenstone has received near universal condemnation from MnSCU faculty for proposing and beginning to enact changes to this statewide higher education system called "Charting the Future". The reasons are many and complicated, but an excellent critique of "Charting the Future" can be found on author/educator Nicole Helget's blog.

She begins:
For going on 8 years, I taught as an adjunct at South Central College (SCC) in North Mankato. While I was aware of and agreed with the national outrage on the use (and misuse) of adjuncts in higher education, I was somewhat immune from it, too, as I was treated very well at SCC. I had the luxury of being supported by an administration that appreciated my commitment to learning and supported me in my classroom endeavors. I was welcomed and encouraged to participate in discussions and committees on everything from college readiness to the creation of the Secular Student Alliance. Even though I sometimes wasn’t sure when/where my classes would run up until the day before they began (normal college chaos, I think), I was confident that they would, and they did. For years, I taught a full-time course load at a school that understood its community and its student population and endeavored to put in place the best people to help those students and its community. I felt secure, and I was able to pass along the investment I felt to the disciplines, the students, SCC, and the community.
And concludes:
“Charting the Future” isn’t really about students and higher learning. It is not about what’s best for Minnesota. What this administration and its CEO advisory committee have implemented is a system that is perfectly poised to get as many people as possible into students loans, privatize education as much as possible, suppress organized labor, further corporate agendas, dumb down citizens, develop curriculum with industry-supporting propaganda, move students away from areas of potential environmental exploitation, get their hands on and extract the life out of our two most valuable resources in Minnesota: our young people and our environment.
Anyone who is concerned about the future of higher education should read her piece here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home