SMRs and AMRs

Thursday, May 17, 2012

'Teenage girls are cruel super-humans from a distant galaxy sent here to destroy us all'

The Winning Essays Are ...

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF, NYT

Earlier this year, I announced an essay contest for teenagers about bullying. Some 1,200 essays later, we have our grand prize winner.

Before I get to her story, let me share a sampling of the entrants who wrote poignantly and powerfully about the suffocating ostracism of school corridors and cafeterias.

“For eight years, I have skipped lunch to get to the safety of the library, bury myself in books, and count the days till graduation,” wrote Alyssa Ahrens, 17, a high school senior in Indiana. “As of today, it is 64.”

Plenty of adults are skeptical about the fuss over bullying. “How come the thin-skinned kids nowadays can’t handle the bullying that made us better, stronger adults?” one man wrote to me on Twitter.

(More here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home