SMRs and AMRs

Thursday, October 21, 2010

NPR commentator loses job over Muslim remark

Juan Williams, speaking on Fox's 'The O'Reilly Factor,' says people in Muslim garb on planes make him 'worried' and 'nervous.' NPR says the remarks 'were inconsistent with our editorial standards.'

By Steve Padilla
LA Times
October 21, 2010

National Public Radio terminated the contract of commentator Juan Williams after he said on Fox's "The O'Reilly Factor" that people wearing Muslim garb on airplanes made him "worried" and "nervous."

The move was first reported Wednesday on Twitter by NPR's media correspondent David Folkenflik, who said Williams' remarks "were inconsistent with our editorial standards."

Williams was discussing political correctness Monday with host Bill O'Reilly and said that it could "lead to some kind of paralysis, where you don't address reality."

"I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot," said Williams, who is African American and has written extensively on the civil rights movement and race in America. "You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

(More here.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Interesting. I thought liberals/progressives praised diversity. This proves that NPR is part of the "Think like me and I'll let you be" liberal/progressive group. Diversity is good in NPR's eyes as long as they do not feel threatened by it...

Delicious!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home