SMRs and AMRs

Monday, June 06, 2016

Vox Verax isn't always serious

Here on Vox Verax we post on a lot of weighty, mostly current issues. The majority of our posts are just stuff Tom has gleaned from the internet on issues that appeal to him, like foreign policy and domestic politics. Plus, he writes some very cogent articles on his own.

On the other hand, because I am most concerned with the state of a planet that we are leaving to future generations, I post more on climate change and other environmental issues.

However, believe it or not, we both have a sense of humor. I mean, how can you not have a sense of humor given the ongoing and interminable presidential campaign? Observing the almost daily Trump nonsense is like hitting your funny bone: You don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Recently I came across the word "cromulent" in an article written by my son, Ross Pomeroy, for RealClearScience. Okay, so I had to look it up: No kid of mine is going to have a larger vocabulary than his dad, at least till some form of dementia settles into my brain. (Of course, he would argue that it already has.)

Anyway, it appears that "cromulent" has already received major play on the internet for quite some time, ever since being introduced in an episode of "The Simpsons" in 1996 ("Words We're Watching: Cromulent", Merriam-Webster).

This might lead one to ask where I've been for the last 20 years. Well, certainly not watching reruns of "The Simpsons".

Anyway, thanks to Merriam-Webster for enlightening me on all this stuff! And thanks also to Ross, who has induced me to spend a few minutes on a bright, sunny June morning looking it up.

— LP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home