SMRs and AMRs

Monday, February 25, 2013

My gosh! Is firearm regulation really gonna pass?

The miracle on guns

By E.J. Dionne Jr., WashPost, Published: February 24

A not-so-small miracle is unfolding before our eyes. After nearly two decades in which established opinion insisted that it would never again be possible to pass sensible regulations of firearms, the unthinkable is on the verge of happening.

This week, Sen. Patrick Leahy, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is expected to announce plans to start marking up gun bills to send to the Senate floor, proposals that will include ideas put before the country by President Obama and Vice President Biden. The president’s agenda, in turn, was inspired by advocates and legislators, mayors and police chiefs who have been working quietly in the wilderness for years.

Told over and over again that members of both parties were forever destined to do the National Rifle Association’s bidding, these supporters of thoroughly moderate and reasonable weapons measures never gave up and never surrendered. Their time has come.

Behind the miracle, of course, lies the profound tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School and the loss of “26 beautiful lives,” as Lynn McDonnell, mother of 7-year-old Grace McDonnell, one of those beautiful lives, put it at a conference in Connecticut last week.

(More here.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Koch said...

The word miracle is often associated with more than acts that feel good.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Patrick Dempsey said...

I had no intention of ever buying an AR-15. My 9mm and .22 handgun, plus my .22 rifle and 12-gauge shotgun have been sufficient for me. But, as my 43rd birthday approaches and my government seeks to restrict gun ownership, I will be buying myself a beautiful barely-user AR-15 with TWO 30 round magazines. Happy Birthday to me! You idiot gungrabbers have no idea the rush on guns you have created with your hysteria for gun control.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home