SMRs and AMRs

Friday, November 05, 2010

American Dreamland

By ROGER COHEN
NYT

TAMPA, FLORIDA — Watching Representative John Boehner, the likely House speaker-to-be, lose it as he celebrated the crushing Republican victory in mid-term elections was one of those weird experiences that are riveting even as they make you want to avert your eyes.

What set Boehner off was the American Dream. Here in his hour of triumph was the 60-year-old Ohio-born architect of the Republican recapture of the House of Representatives reduced to sobbing. His voice broke.

I felt for the guy, honestly. Boehner had just been talking about “the values that have made America, America: economic freedom, individual liberty and personal responsibility.” There was no hint of the waterworks to come. But then, as he turned to the themes of the Republican assault on President Barack Obama as somehow anti-American, breakdown came.

“I’ve spent my whole life chasing the American Dream,” he stammered. “I started out mopping floors, waiting tables, and tending bar at my dad’s tavern. I put myself through school working odd jobs and nightshifts. I poured my heart and soul into a small business.” Chants of “USA! USA!” filled a Washington hotel ballroom.

(More here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home