SMRs and AMRs

Monday, August 20, 2007

Rove Talks: If Mistakes Were Made, They Weren’t His

By ALESSANDRA STANLEY
New York Times

Karl Rove says he feels like Moby Dick.

In a television tour of three Sunday morning shows as his departure from the White House nears, Mr. Rove, President Bush’s chief political adviser, complained that Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill were Captain Ahabs relentlessly pursuing him as the big white whale.

“Let’s face it, I mean, I’m a myth,” Mr. Rove told Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday” when asked about his critics. “You know, I’m Beowulf, you know, I’m Grendel. I don’t know who I am. But they’re after me.”

In the spirited hunt for White House culprits, Mr. Rove is certainly a favorite target, though many Republicans are also inclined to blame him for the sinking popularity of the president and his party.

Mr. Rove, who is leaving the White House at the end of the month, didn’t cut an especially heroic or villainous figure. The strategist who looms in the public imagination as a political mastermind and West Wing Svengali used a rare appearance on camera to deliver an exiting White House aide’s most time-honored Washington message: mistakes were not made, and it’s not my fault.

He even denied responsibility for his hip-hop performance as a rapping “M.C. Rove” at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in March.

(Continued here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home