SMRs and AMRs

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A John Bircher's take on George W. Bush

Now Is the Time for a Left-Right Alliance

by Thomas R. Eddlem

I'm currently a life member of the John Birch Society and formerly served on the staff of the organization for 13 years.

So why should any left-winger reading this care a fig about what I have to say?

Because of a conversation I had with another conservative magazine writer recently. In frustration at the unconstitutional excesses of the Bush administration, I blurted out to him: "The only people doing any good out there are the people at Air America." I expected to shock him with the statement, but his two-word reply shocked me: "And MoveOn.org."

[...]

When Air America started, I told myself and my friends that it would fail because it would be redundant.... [But Air America] criticized the Bush administration for deceiving us into the Iraq war. No problem there. They criticized Alberto Gonzales for his torture memos. Again, no problem. They criticized deficit spending, the PATRIOT Act, and corporate welfare. Hurray, hurray, and hurray!

(For the whole article, go here.)

Thomas R. Eddlem is a radio talk show host in Massachusetts and a frequent contributor to The New American magazine.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thank God, at last I hear a rational voice! This deadly division between "left" and "right" is destroying our country. Most of us are right smack in the middle. I'm slightly left of center, but some of the people I love best in the world are right of center, and there are quite a few issues we agree completely on. And the biggest thing we agree about? WE ARE IN BIG TROUBLE, PEOPLE!! Our beloved country is circling the drain, and we desperately need some sane voices and leaders to get us all back on track. What the hell is going on here?? Now we're spying on our own people?

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Now is the time to rid our government of the corruption that big business and a Bush family bloodless coup have brought. No dynasty, no aristocracy, no policy elite, no quid pro quo, No GWB, no Hillary, no Joe, and no John Kerry. And please, God, no George Allen!(doofus manque)

9:39 PM  
Blogger gg said...

Hi I'm a JBS'er too. Do you have any of the pamphlets "Red Indians" by Doug Durham from back in the 70's? I'm trying to educate some people that think Russell Means is great. Thanks in advance

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home