SMRs and AMRs

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Surviving to tell the tale of torture

By Olga Talamante, OLGA TALAMANTE is the executive director of California's Chicana/Latina Foundation.
March 25, 2006, LA TIMES

THE BURLAP BAG felt rough and scratchy against my cheek, but it also smelled earthy and deceptively comforting. Thick tape already covered my eyes, so the bag's only purpose was to frighten me. And it worked. I knew I had entered another dimension.

A day earlier I had been a not-too-unusual 24-year-old American student from UC Santa Cruz, working with the Peronist Youth organization for social change in Azul, Argentina. For the next 16 months, I would become one of thousands of political prisoners and torture victims taken into custody as Argentina first declared martial law and then later suffered a right-wing military coup. But I was one of the lucky ones — a survivor, thanks to family and friends in the United States who won my release on March 27, 1976.

(The rest is here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home